The UK regulatory system, market development, safety, and innovation in the food sector
ACI Regulatory and Compliance Associate Dr Parveen Bhatarah spoke at this conference on the 27th April 2021, hosted by Westminster Food & Nutrition Forum, focusing on the regulation of new and emerging novel foods in the UK – including the way forward for policy following the UK’s exit from the EU, how regulation is responding to innovation in the food sector, and the role of novel food methods in addressing food system challenges.
Areas that were discussed include:
- establishing the UK regulatory system for novel foods – managing a smooth transition, new opportunities and challenges, and the future relationship with the EU
- market development – improving access to novel food products across the plant-based sector, as well as insect foods and CBD
- safety – ensuring that consumers are protected as the sector grows
- research and development – priorities for driving forward innovation in the food sector, and how the regulatory system can keep pace
- role in sustainable food production – as well as opportunities for novel foods to contribute to meeting wider strategic challenges within the food system
The discussion brought together stakeholders with key policy officials who are due to attend from the FSA; Food Standards Scotland; Defra; DHSC; the CCC; BEIS; DAERA, NI; DIT; the FCDO; and the Welsh Government.